Saturday, June 29, 2013

Farmer's Market Fresh Turnips

It is a thrill for us to go the to farmer's market on Saturday Mornings.
We wander around and look at everything before we purchase.
Then we get a treat like a cup of coffee, an egg roll or a caramel.
Then we shop.
Then we go home and I make something yummy for lunch while the kids mow the lawn.
Look at our lovely bounty this week.


I am most excited to be making turnips.
We LOVE turnips.
But they have to be caramelized.
It's so, so good.

So, we start with our board of ingredients as usual.
  • Turnips
  • Olive Oil
  • Butter
  • Salt 
  • Pepper



We start to prep these little beauties by chopping off their little tail.
Then their tops get chopped off.
Then we peel them.



Then we dice.




Then we season with salt and pepper.



I apologize for the over exposed picture of butter.
I can do better.  
I promise never to do this again.
Anyway, a bit of olive oil and a couple bits of butter go in a non stick pan.




When the butter is melted and swirled around in the olive oil,
Add the turnips.




Start cooking them over medium high heat.
I'm here to tell you it takes a long time.
But it's worth it.
(By a long time, I mean longer than my attention span.)
(The only reason the turnips don't burn is because my daughter takes over stirring and watching.)
(She will be a much better cook than I am because she is patient.)



Now this is what I am talking about.
Those dark brown spots are the best.
Oh, yummy!







If you want to gild the lily, and sometimes I do, add a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top.


FYI, when you cook turnips this way, they shrink down.
Six turnips made about four small servings.
FYI, I could have eaten this all by myself.
I didn't...this time.
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment