Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Baked {Make Ahead} Mashed Poatoes

Thanksgiving is the busiest holiday there is in the kitchen.  This is one big meal to put on the table.  Besides the meal, we usually like to play a few games during the Macy's parade in the morning.  The football game is a little more closely watched by my football fellas so Alyssa and I spread a puzzle out on the coffee table right in the middle of everything.  I do not want to miss out on all the fun, so I make sure I am not stuck in the kitchen.  I do as much as I can ahead of time.

These potatoes are the boys' favorite item on the table.  The recipe is an oldy but a goody and it would not be Thanksgiving for my boys if they did not have massive amounts of these potatoes.  They are already talking about them.  My plan is to make a double batch.  One batch for Thanksgiving.  The second batch I will throw in the oven for them to eat with leftover sandwiches on Friday.  {I can't wait for leftover sandwiches!}

        Board of Ingredients:
  • 5 Pounds of Potatoes Peeled and Diced
  • Paprika
  • Milk
  • Sour Cream
  • White Pepper
  • Salt
  •   Chives
  • Cream Cheese
  • Butter


My chives are still beautiful outside so I used fresh, but you could use freeze dried chives as well.



You want your potatoes to be chopped so they are all roughly the same size.  This is important so they cook evenly.  You don't want some chunks to be overcooked and falling apart in the cooking water while other larger chunks are still crunchy. 



Add the diced potatoes to a large pan, cover them with water and add a generous pinch of salt.  Bring the pot up to a boil and reduce to a simmer.  If you cover the pot while the water comes up a boil, it can boil over so keep an eye on it.  While the potatoes are simmering, it is easiest to leave the pot uncovered.  Simmer the potatoes until they are tender and they easily fall of a fork when you pierce a chunk of potato with fork tines. 



When the potatoes are done, drain the potatoes.  Make sure you let all the water drain out so you do not wind up with watery taters. 



Mash your taters up.  I actually break them up a bit this way, then I put mine through the food mill.  You could use a potato ricer or just use a potato masher. 



This is what the potatoes looked like after they went through the food mill.  They look so good.



Now, lets add a few things to make these the most decadent potatoes on the planet. 



Stir.  I licked the spoon and I can tell you that they were really good. 



Now add a pat of butter to the top and stick these in the fridge.  Fogetaboutit!  I don't know where that came from.  Anyway, when you bake these guys, they puff up a bit.  So leave room in your casserole dish for them to expand.  When you are ready to bake them, take them out of the fridge and bring them to room temp.  Bake them for about 45 to 50 minutes or until the center is hot.  I stick a butter knife blade down the middle of the potatoes and leave it for a few seconds.  Pull the knife out and feel the knife to see if the potatoes have heated through. 



Snowy Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients:

5 Pounds of Potatoes, Peeled and Diced
8 Ounces Cream Cheese, Room Temperature
1 Cup Sour Cream
1/2 Stick Butter, Room Temperature
Hot Milk
1/4 Cup Chives
1 Teaspoon Paprika
2 Teaspoons Salt
1/2 Teaspoon White Pepper

Directions:

1. Boil the potatoes until they fall off a fork easily. Drain well.

2. Mash, rice or mill the cooked potatoes.

3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.

4. Put the potatoes in a baking dish. Add one pat of butter to the top of the potatoes and cover. Refrigerate.

Baking Instructions:

1. Remove potatoes from refrigerator and leave on counter for one hour.

2. Bake potatoes in a 350°F oven for one hour or until center of potatoes are hot. Enjoy!


For a printer friendly version of this recipe click here.

1 comment:

  1. I love mashed potato I can eat it just like that ^_^ Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete